Saturday, April 19, 2014

Highway

On the horizon, a city sprawled out above everything. The clouds encircled the location. It was our destination. The professor and the journalist smiled as they saw the buildings. I could feel the anticipation of the end seep out of them. They needed to reach the center of the world. 

But I knew something was strange this time. I knew that something didn't feel right. In all my life, I'd never seen the realm manifest in that shape before. It felt... it felt like a deathtrap. Too narrow, too open ended. Too surrounded. It was almost obvious. 

I didn't say anything to the two. I didn't want them to panic. Besides, nothing we could do at that point. We had to keep moving. 

My biggest fear was that we'd have to keep moving forever more. The arid heat encircled us and punctuated the feelings of imminent ruin within me. 

And yet they didn't stop moving, nor stop smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment