Saturday, April 19, 2014

Highway III

At some point the highway signs appeared on the side of the highway. They were green and had various languages on them. Most of them were not in English, so we could not tell what they were actually saying. A few of them were, however. We could have gone without reading them.

They started out innocent and straightforward, just as the realm usually starts out as. "Richmond, VA - 80 Miles." "Edgewater, MI - 415 Miles." "Splitsville - 10, 000 Miles." But they changed. 

"No ending." "The silence begins." "City UnLimits"

The air grew cold, bitter, and stale. Smoke and smog covered the sky. It descended. We choked on the fumes. I felt lightheaded. I grabbed the professor and the journalist close to me.

"Keep near me. It'll take us if we're split by this."

They don't respond. I drag them a few feet when I feel them pull out of my grasp. I scream at them and grasp out for them repeatedly. The smoke disappears.

They're both far away from me. 

"...What's wrong?" The professor asks.

"Why did you both let go of me?"

They seem confused.

"What are you talking about? You never grabbed us in the first place."

I look behind me. Nothing there. 

"It's... it's especially playful today." 

Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment