Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fence II

We were still walking alongside the tall, rusted fence when a foreboding wind drifted through from the other side of it. I tried to ignore it. A certain scent was hidden in the wind. I tried to think of other things. I could hear its whistle surround us. I tried to ignore it. I could feel it grabbing hold of me and not letting go. I tried to think of other things. I could taste salt water.

"Do not trust the wind. It deceives us. Do not look past the fence. It wants us."

They did not listen. They couldn't. They had become possessed by the evil air. One of them stopped and looked past the fence to the open field behind it. The other also stood there, looking.

Then the professor jumped at the fence and shook at it violently, with his face contorted into a desperate smile.

"Let me in, let me in! I've found you, I've found you, I've fo-"

The fence grabbed him. I can't make sense out of what happened by saying anything else. That's the only description that will suffice. The fence grabbed him, and wrapped around him. The chainlink wiring broke off and cut into his skin. He didn't scream. He felt pleasure.

But then he was back on his feet and the fence was gone and only the field remained. It was as if that never happened.

"Do not go into that field."

The professor got up and shook his head. He ran off towards the open field. I tripped him, and punched him out.

I turned to the journalist.

"It's a trick. That is not the way. Don't fall for its tricks. If this happens again, I will abandon the both of you here, and you will be lost forever within the madness of this place."

The journalist nodded. He took the professor and shook him back to consciousness.

I continued to walk alongside where the fence used to be. There were no signs that it had ever existed between us and the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment